Monday, November 10, 2008

Back In The USA

I got back to the U.S. on Thursday after five months in South Asia: India, Nepal and Pakistan. I’m beginning work as a freelance educational consultant and my mission was to visit schools and foundations; to talk with parents, teachers and students; to assess (at least superficially) the state of education on the subcontinent; and to figure out how I might play a role there. I hope to use this blog to document my experiences and to engage with others who share an interest in progressive education in South Asia. I’m going to begin with a short excerpt from a lecture I presented in September at Punjab University, Lahore, Pakistan – a very brief first attempt to introduce my own beliefs about pedagogy.

Since I am, after all, an educator, I’d like to begin by asking you a question – the sort of question that I like best: one that has no single “correct” answer, the kind with many correct answers, the type that (hopefully) causes people to really think.

The question is this: What is the purpose of education? Why should we teach? Why should we learn?

The answers are many:
- We teach so that students will achieve high marks on their examinations.
- We teach so that students can be admitted to colleges and universities.
- We teach to raise the level of literacy among the population.
- We teach to offer students a better lot in life. Better health, better jobs, a better standard of living.
- We teach to offer students exposure to the history and culture of their country.

This morning I will take the liberty of talking about MY favorite answer to this question. Not the “correct” answer remember, but the answer that makes me excited about my own work as an educator, that keeps me going, that gets me up in the mornings. I believe that the purpose of education is the creation of meaning. The creation of meaning. Children are trying to make meaning out of the complex and crazy world into which they are born, a world of relationships, of symbols, of patterns and randomness, a world of things beyond the comprehension of their young minds. They need all of this to mean something, to make sense. They need the tools to create this meaning for themselves. This is why they learn. And this is why I teach – to offer children the tools they will need for this most important life work.

There is much more to come and I can't wait to begin making contact with others who are interested in progressive education in the U.S., in South Asia and throughout the world. Please be in touch.

-Beth

6 comments:

Amy said...

Hi, Beth! I think what you are doing is great. I'm jealous that you get to visit Nepal, my other home. Since I homeschool four of my kids now, education is on the top of my priority list. It's a privilege to be a part of "creating meaning" in their young lives. I hope to see you at future Class of '80 reunions.
Amy McCauley Dye

Mrs. Stetson said...

Hi Beth~ We may be kindred spirits on a similar mission. I'm a middle school teacher from Vermont on sabbatical in India until mid December. Please check out my e trip journal at http://mytripjournal.com/WandaStetsonIndia2008 if you'd like read about my experiences visiting schools and teaching Community English classes in rural Tamil Nadu. Perhaps we could chat when I return. You can email me through the trip journal site if you'd like.
Wanda Stetson

Lois J said...

Hi Beth! At one point, musing on this question, it seemed to me that the purpose might be to live life successfully. Of course, that raises questions of what success is, etc! I love your idea of the creation of meaning, and am now musing about what the relationship might be between the two images.
Lois Jones

Anonymous said...

Beth,
I agree that meaning is one of the best things to focus on. Our progeny should be taught to be good reporters. Who? What? When? and, especially, Why? and How? We need much more why-time in public education. The ability to pass standardized tests doesn't, necessarily, lead to a well-lived life. Good luck with your new blog.
—Steve Ashby

Rana said...

Hi Beth,

I was in the class of 1986 at Woodstock, so we didn't overlap, but I have more than a passing interest in this subject … my mum taught at a senior school, my dad taught at a college, and after a first career in scientific research, my wife is re-training as a teacher now.

So I have very well developed views on education - though probably very different to yours :)

But welcome to web 2.0 anyway, I look forward to reading your contributions. I'm there too, not always strictly talking about education, but I'd hope that whoever stumbles across my site would always learn something. I guess that's why we do it.

Good luck

Rana

Anonymous said...

Cash Making Opportunities - The Beginning The working life is already tough enough, but the worries of being out of work was even tougher. The unsecured working environment have prompted me to search the internet for an alternative source of extra income so that I could learn how to Make Money Work for me and be Financially Independent. I listed down a number of Free Internet Business Opportunity Ideas while researching ways how people earn money online while working-from-home.......


www.onlineuniversalwork.com